05 January 2012

Old Year New Year



(Photos from our visit to the Utah Museum of Fine Arts, December 2011)

Facebook seems full of mockers these days.

Things like: “The gym was so full today of all those new years resolution people. Can’t wait until February.”

It’s funny and a little bit true but it also makes me a little sad. I like starting a new year. I love that feeling of starting new; of looking back at where I was a year ago and where I am today. I like thinking of where I want to be.

But there is the tendency to be motivated for the first few months and then we slowly forget what we so determinedly resolved to do. Unfortunately that is part of human nature. To learn and then forget. However, I believe that it is through continuing to try that we actually change ourselves. Think about it. I try so hard to keep my clothes off the floor in our bedroom. Inevitably the laziness takes over and I am back to the pile of clothes sprawled about the room. I have to say, though, when I was younger, those piles almost never got cleaned up. Now they do… most of the time.

It is an improvement. And I believe that I have improved simply by continuing to try, even when I fall short.

If the way we are setting our goals and resolutions isn't working, we can change and be more creative with what we are setting and how we plan to accomplish it. Danni did 12 by 2012. Susannah created a write up to help you unravel the past year and look forward to the new year. You could set one big resolution then break it down into the little steps you want to take to accomplish it. Instead of doing it for new years, you could do it at the beginning of spring: the moment those tulips bloom, you make your goals for the next 12 months. Or you could just set goals for every 3 months.

You can do anything as long as you are doing something!

Looking back at the last year, a lot has changed. I have changed. We welcomed our little Miss Millie into the world. After a hard pregnancy, my husband patiently loved me while I struggled through the postpartum blues. Once I found my feet again, I felt ready to jump back in my life and start new things. It was a difficult year but such a good one. And I want to keep moving in the right direction.

Can I tell you a couple of my goals?

Two things have really been on my mind. 1.) Creativity and 2.) Courage.

So here is what I am going to do. I want to explore what creativity really means and really take a look at the people who inspire me. Since I do my best thinking through writing, I want to write out my thoughts and share them all with you.

Then there is courage. Oh my dear friend Courage. I want to try to get myself out of my shell and try new things. I want to do things that stretch me in some way. For instance, last week I went to a yoga class that my friend teaches. That does not seem like much of an accomplishment but it was for me. Although I have done yoga before, I am rusty. I didn’t know how the class was set up or who would be there. Those things are very important to me. I like to know exactly what I am stepping into or I seem to get a lot of anxiety. So by me walking into that dance studio, unsure of what to even put on my feet, I was doing something that was hard for me. And oh how worth it it was. I felt so happy and free by the end of that class that I can’t wait until the next one.

So there they are. The two things I really want to focus my energies on. No. They are not the only things I want to improve on. I want to be better mum and a more loving wife. I want to write more and read more and study more and DO more. But creativity and courage are the two things that will drive those other goals of mine.


What are your goals or resolutions?

Do you have a creative way to keep the motivation to continue working on your goals?


Also, if you try something new and want to share it, email me at agraehl@gmail.com! I want to hear about your experiences!

No comments: