01 January 2011

about the writers

Emily (from emilymcb.blogspot.com) grew up as the only sister to four younger brothers. She graduated with a degree in English and a minor in music, and she is currently working as an editor and writer. Always up for a travel adventure, Emily spent a few summers doing humanitarian work in Africa and a summer studying abroad in London. 




Jessica is a health-nut, yoga-doing, painting, farmers-market-going, sewing, church-attending, family-missing, dancing, music-loving, tree-hugging, sticky-note-posting, color-categorized girl. Her major is family science, and she loves being a woman, as is evident in her personal blog. Check it out!



Hello! I am Alicia Fish. I am a wife and soon to be mother, living in a colorful little home in Eagle Mountain, Utah. I am a perpetual multitasker and am terrible at it. I buy too many books but I justify it by using them not only to read but as décor. About a month before I graduated from Utah State University, I finally admitted to myself that I had no idea what I really wanted to do with the degree I had worked so hard for. I still don’t know. What I do know is that I love to write about and take pictures of the world around me and my experiences. I post most of them on my blog Darling Duckie. My ideas, feelings, and understanding of what it means to be a woman is ever changing and adapting. I fully expect this discovery process to continue and that it will expand my appreciation not only for myself and what it means for me to be a woman, but also for the other women and men who believe in the divinity of women and their essential role in the world. And I am terribly excited to hear about others experiences and share my own!



Julianne is currently living in Brazil working at a small NGO that rehabilitates adolescent mothers as they recover from drug addictions. She loves women and is tired of them being disproportionately beaten down by economic poverty or cultures of violence the world over! She's worked all over the place: at UNICEF, the UNFPA, Oxford University, and many other NGOs in Africa, Europe, and the USA that fight for the safety and well-being of women in various circumstances: obstetric fistula sufferers in Niger, Darfuri and Liberian refugee women in Brooklyn, domestic violence victims of Utah, and military-led rape campaigns against women in the Ogaden region of Ethiopia. She's excited to be part of this awesome conversation by women, for women, of women! 



And lastly, I am Allison. I won't be a writer here for much longer due to other commitments, but why not introduce myself anyway? I currently study family science and english, and briefly studied theatre and playwriting in the past. I have the sense of humor of an adolescent boy.  I enjoy film, listening to and making music, writing, and knitting. Creating is my happiness. In 2009, I thought up and eventually compiled the We Are Women book with the help of about 40 women worldwide. Other places: an apple a day; holly in the tree house doing yoga; kindred spirits and i. I will soon be leaving on an adventure, passing the reigns of the blog to these lovely women. You will love them!


Check back every Monday for a new post by one of the writers. It's going to be a great year!

No comments: